Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The beginning of the end....

So I used to work in the web world. I built giant websites for giant corporations, and then I managed the clients of those giant websites owned by the giant corporations. And some smaller corporations. And after over 10 years in technology, my number finally came up and I got laid off. It's quite a miracle I survived the boom and bust and everything in between without a layoff until late in 2005. I guess they just liked me ... or more likely, I was low on the payscale and never caught the eye of HR.

I had been an amateur real estate agent for many many years, carefully tracking my neighborhood market (Cathedral Hill, back then). I knew everything on the market and obsessively tracked it all.
When I got laid off, I sent off the resume, did the interviews, half-heartedly thought about shackling myself to a desk again. I had been told that a layoff has a way of changing your life, and I found that to be true.

One morning, I woke up, and went straight to the computer to check the new listings on www.edinarealty.com.
There was something fabulous with a great price in my neighborhood. I knew it would go fast. I put on my pants and drove over there, cell phone in hand. I called through my list -- which of my friends would want to buy this house? It's going to be gone soon! Other real estate agents were swarming around it in their Lexuses, on their cells, calling their clients to come see it.

And that's when I realized I was acting like a real estate agent and I should probably just commit to it.

My husband was in law school at the time. All in all, it's about a 4 and a half year process from LSAT to Bar Exam.

It took me 3 and a half weeks to become a Realtor (r). A few days of waiting for the training class to start and 3 weeks of training.

When I decided to change my career, it took 3 weeks. When Luke decided to change careers, it took 3 years.
Heh!

So this blog is the beginning of the end. When I left the web world, I was pretty burned out and thought I would never again work with the web.

No comments: